Friday, December 1, 2006

'Twas the night before the birthday...

As of tomorrow, I will no longer have a three-year-old. I'm going to miss her--that funny, wise, obstinate creature. I hope I enjoy my four-year-old as much.

In honor of her impending age and increased sagacity, my daughter put a bead up her nose at school today, requiring me to abandon my students mid-class and spend part of the afternoon at the emergency room. This was not part of my master plan, but I provoked it, I am sure, by being revoltingly smug about the fact that my child does not put foreign objects into her mouth. She's fine, I'm fine, and she was a trooper through most of the process. [Where can I get one of those little spatulate remover things? It looks handy for so many awkward personal chores!]

I asked for a goodnight kiss tonight, after reading multiple bedtime stories, including this heartbreaker, about a little boy who has lost his father.

I frequently get turned down when I ask for a goodnight kiss, as she flexes her tyranny in the face of my desperate devotion. Tonight, however, I had to laugh, when she said, "No kisses tonight, Mama. Maybe tomorrow, when I'm four."

I hope so.

8 Comments:

At 8:08 AM , Blogger jo(e) said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter!

 
At 1:56 PM , Blogger MissM said...

Ditto on the Happy Birthday! :)
My youngest put a floride tablet up his nose, when he was maybe 2 years old... I didn't see it, but his nostril was distended, so I took him to the ER, they flushed out his sinuses, but it never did show up. Better safe than sorry. Your strength inspires me, keep up the good work!

 
At 3:50 PM , Blogger Snickollet said...

Happy b-day to the little one!

So good to read you.

 
At 9:42 PM , Blogger Yankee, Transferred said...

Honestly, Dorcasina? Four was my very favorite age. Or, I should say, the first of my very favorite ages. I loved them when they were three, but at four, they turned magical to me. AAAH, little girls. I love 'em!

 
At 9:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved "4" too with my two older kids, Happy Birthday to your little one, love her comment too, they are the masters of their worlds.

 
At 7:12 AM , Blogger Visiting Prof said...

Yep...add me to the "Happy Birthday" wishes.

 
At 12:51 PM , Blogger OTRgirl said...

"Maybe when I'm four" made me smile.

Happy Birthday!

 
At 1:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday : )

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home