Monday, August 11, 2008

Gray, gray day

Warning: this is not going to be a post of sweetness, light, or cute things my daughter did (although there are some). It's a gray day, which matches my mood.

1. I had to (as in, felt compelled to, not as in, was forced to) stop this morning to move a dead cat out of the middle of the busy street my daughter's Chinese program is on. We passed it on our way to school, and I sort of hoped it would either have been moved out of traffic, found by its owner, or even smushed into cat paste that I would no longer feel capable of moving. No such luck. So I stopped the car, scooped up the poor cat, trying NOT to look at its injuries. (Just like I'm trying not to recount those injuries to you, now, especially the grotesque aspect that is stuck in my head right now. Why is it that we feel such a strong urge to share something particularly horrific, as though by making other people see what we have seen, our own burden of it is lightened?). Two guys in some kind of commercial truck stopped and held up traffic while I moved it, and gave me a thumbs-up, which I hope was for moving the cat--not because they thought I had killed it. A collar but no tag. Not a great start to the day.

2. I am delighted that this chubby kitty has found a home. But WTF, people? Note the final quote from the shelter director: "Thousands of people from as far away as London and California called to inquire about adopting the cat, Harr said. Unfortunately, she said no one who contacted the shelter was interested in adopting any of the more than 200 other cats and kittens in the shelter's care." This depresses the hell out of me. Not one person wanted a pet, instead of a curiosity piece?

3. Working at home today, while the piano repairs get underway. I am slightly cheered by the fact that a) when all is said, done, tuned, and paid for, I will have a piano worth playing; b) it looks like existing casters can be made to work, saving me a couple hundred dollars off a bill that skyrocketed when the tuner found some cracks in the sound board and some keys that are missing something essential to making them play.

But all in all, not a happy morning in Dorcasina-land. And now, back to my dreaded article.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 11:42 AM , Blogger Julia said...

Sorry about all of it.
Our piano teacher told us we have to get Monkey a real piano sometime this fall. To replace the POS we got on craigslist (for $300) when she first started playing. I am happy she is improving enough to need a better instrument, but I don't have the funds for a real piano. ARGH!!!!

 
At 12:30 PM , Blogger Snickollet said...

Yet again you prove to be a better woman than I am. I would have *not* stopped to move the cat, then felt horrible about it all day, forcing myself to drown my sorrows in red wine as I watched the Olympics rather than exercising that evening.

 
At 3:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere, Dorcasina. I've missed you -- and please don't take this as a reproach that you did not do more with your sabbatical!! Just that I missed you.

I once moved a dead kitty too. Dead bird the next day. Another dead bird the next day. I wondered what the universe was trying to tell me, and decided not to worry about it but just to do what seemed right.

Again, welcome back.

 
At 7:00 PM , Blogger Snickollet said...

Will it help a little bit to know that I gave you a blog award?

-snick

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home