Friday, August 29, 2008

Kindergarten Assignment

My baby heads off to her new fancy private school in the woods on Tuesday. I've attended the back-to-school info session, am halfway through purchasing the essentials (backpack, water bottle, etc.), and don't know which of us is more excited! My excitement, of course, is tinged with melancholy: it's almost certain that I will never again have my own snuggly, warm, chubby two-year-old, or three-year-old, and that our family of two is pretty much what I have. And I'm accepting it, finally.

One of my assignments is to identify 5 words that I think characterize or explain my daughter and will help her teachers get to know her. I'm enjoying this exercise, largely because it gives me opportunities to reflect on what an awesome little girl I have the good luck to raise, and because I can ask my friends to suggest equally laudatory terms.

So far, I am considering the following:

1. Agreeable; cooperative; adaptable--something that conveys her essential willingness, even eagerness, to participate in whatever activity is going on, and her cheerful good nature in the face of most obstacles.

2. Enthusiastic; inquisitive; curious: these words attempt to get at her lust for knowledge--how refrigerators, taste buds, and the internal combustion engine work; why the sun comes up in the east, not the west; why children don't drive cars; etc.

3. Generous: she almost always offers to share what she has, even if it's a special treat (like a piece of candy). She goes out of her way to get her teachers to wrap up whatever food she makes at school so she can bring me some.

4. Focused; determined; autonomous: She identifies things she'd like to do, and does them. If she's interested, she persists, and she generally does a lot of tasks without much help.

5. Cheerful. She's a happy, sunny, generally even-tempered little girl, who seems much more optimistic about life in general than her father or I ever was, even at age 5.

Now I just have to pick five of them....

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:45 PM , Blogger Yankee T said...

Five words? Very hard to do.
Thinking of you-

 
At 5:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As to nos. one and two, "adaptable" and "inquisitive" best seem to get your points about her particular brand of awesomeness across to a third party.

 
At 6:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Five words is tough...this year for my son's third grade class we had to fill out "My Dreams for my child..." report, then the teacher called to say, I know it was tough and very personal but it goes a long way in helping me get to know your son and you, thank you for sharing it...it was hard and I was so happy after doing it.

Good luck in the new school!

 
At 2:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please let us know how the 1st week went for her...

 
At 10:29 PM , Blogger Julia said...

I am catching up after nearly two months long neglect of my reader, and I just wanted to say that she sounds like a very cool kid. Very cool.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home