Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Mind games; aka Fraud Alert!

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
I suspect I will lose my professorial license for this, but I haven't read Fahrenheit 451.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
All the time. Adam Dalgliesh, natch. Once upon a time: Holden Caulfield, except I'm rapidly getting too old to think of him as anything more than a self-obsessed pubescent whiner. Mr. Rochester.

The last book you bought is:
No more blog-whoring for Amazon--the links above are purely for reference. I bought Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst because I read a review of it. I haven't read it, but you can get yourself a copy here. I also bought Curtis Sittenfield's Prep; haven't read it yet, either.

The last book you read:
Richard Wright's Native Son.

What are you currently reading?
The Neanderthal Enigma. I stole it from my husband, even though he had already started it. I'm also reading Lahiri's The Namesake when my daughter wakes me up at night and I can't get back to sleep.

Five books you would take to a deserted island:
Jane Eyre. Fahrenheit 451 (see answer number 1). Martha Cooley's underappreciated novel about T.S. Eliot scholars, The Archivist. David Sedaris's Naked. Something long by Henry James--Portrait of a Lady, maybe?

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons)? And Why?
ABDmom because I want to meet her daughter, El Pistola. I'll have to come back to the others--time to prep for class now.

4 Comments:

At 5:49 PM , Blogger bitchphd said...

Rochester and Holden Caulfield? Good heavens.

 
At 7:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

hey, no mocking my pathetic sexual/literary fantasy life. Did I say anything about yours? ;)

 
At 4:26 PM , Blogger bitchphd said...

"Good heavens" could mean I'm impressed. I mean, theoretically.

 
At 6:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

right, babe. remember, i know you. there is no way, even theoretically, that you could intend anything other than irony by that "Good heavens."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home