Sunday, December 18, 2005

Holiday sign-off

Tomorrow my daughter and I head to visit family in my home state. We'll be there for the week including Christmas, and then I am off to Major League Conference where I get to meet ABDMom and BH and the exuberant Pistola. Sadly, I will not be bringing my daughter to MLC, because I strongly suspect she and Pistola would blow that joint open.

Still, I'll be on the other side of the job search this time around, helping interview potential colleagues in the field adjoining my own, with some lovely department members and a medium sized sprinkling of grad school friends there, too. Room service, cable TV, a deep bathtub (I hope) with plenty of hot water, and only one set of student essays to grade.

I'm not able to get excited about this trip, although it will be nice to hide from my real life and its losses for a while. I suspect that nowhere I go will really feel like "home" any time soon, if ever. So it doesn't really matter where I am, or who I am with--at least not right now.

But when I get back, I hope to spend some time blogging about the really extraordinary people my students have shown themselves to be. They deserve that.

And I'll talk about the big hard lump in my throat that used to happen any time I was around my in-laws. It's been dissolving rapidly. Other big hard lumps remain, but this one is, for now, almost gone. Today I sent them away with some of the good wine from my husband's memorial, and asked only that they drink one toast to him at their family holiday.

I hope there is plenty of joy, peace, and goodwill to go around the blogosphere.

Hasta the new year...

10 Comments:

At 5:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My best wishes go with you on this trip.

 
At 6:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoping you catch your breath soon. I'll toast to you and yours myself.

 
At 7:54 AM , Blogger Aunt B said...

If you are at the big conference in our nation's capitol, I will also be there. I will now eye everyone suspiciously, wondering if one is you.

 
At 11:25 AM , Blogger Professing Mama said...

Dorcasina, I am SO excited to meet you and can't believe just how much I am looking forward to it. As you said, my only regret is that your daughter won't be there as well, because, as you so aptly put it, our two girls would blow the joint open!

I hope this break is a "break" for you in some ways. While your grief will always be with you, I hope, as you said, that you will be able to hide from it for a little bit.

 
At 1:39 PM , Blogger bitchphd said...

I hope you have a good trip and find some small measure of peace in what will surely be a very difficult season.

I'm sorry I won't be able to get together with you.

 
At 4:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you deep bathtubs and hot water, strong student essays and bright job candidates, sweet hours with blogger buddies, and some temporary forgetting for now.

Peace and Happy Winter Solstice

 
At 12:03 PM , Blogger Ancrene Wiseass said...

I'm so glad to hear that you have places to go and people to see, and I hope your trip will be as peaceful and healing as possible.

Very warm wishes to you and your daughter!

 
At 3:08 PM , Blogger Terminal Degree said...

Wishing you safe travels.

 
At 6:50 PM , Blogger Bstermyster said...

Wishing you a better new year with healing and hope.

Look forward to reading more of your thoughts in the future.

 
At 4:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HiFriends!

You have many friends that post in your guestbook - it is cool!
70 yr old pussy

adult free sex stories
amateur sex video posts
animated greetings of sex
aria giovanni nude galleries
thank
Konrad Schrader

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home