Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Moby Dick!

This story of a whale bearing some 19th-century weaponry is so fascinating that it almost makes me overlook my aversion to whaling of all kinds. Amazing to think about what that whale has seen in its century-long life (estimates put its birth during Rutherford B. Hayes's presidency--Reconstruction). Sadly, though, I don't think many of the world's changes would seem very positive from a whale's point of view. I guess he's lucky that 19th-century projectiles were relatively ineffective....

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 6:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that story too. Wow! I did not know whales lived so long. I wonder what they think about all that time. I also felt sorry for him; couldn't he have died of old age instead of being hunted...

 
At 8:10 PM , Blogger OTRgirl said...

Wow! I've never considered how long a whale lives before. That's really interesting. Amazing, too that he roamed from MA to Alaska (I can't figure out the two letter version for Alaska!! And I can't remember how to spell the other one...)

 
At 8:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that story too, Mass to Alaska, that's a haul, I didn't realize how long they lived either

 
At 8:18 AM , Blogger Paul said...

I had almost the identical thoughts in response.

 
At 11:51 AM , Blogger Yankee T said...

Yikes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home