Thursday, November 22, 2007

Bad Attitude

I should be thankful. I just don't feel it.

My daughter and I just put our tart in the oven, and decided to pre-whip the cream. I'm a whipped-cream snob; like my wine pretensions, it's a skill owed to my lengthy stint in restaurants, where hand-whipping the cream was the waitstaff's sole contribution to the culinary craftsmanship that justified the high prices, which, of course, translated pretty darn frequently into very generous tips. One of the few corners I do NOT cut in the kitchen is in the area of whipping cream.
But as I got out the battered stainless steel restaurant-supply issue bowl and whisk, I was struck with an image of my husband, who eagerly adopted most of my food tics, and had become enamored of things like hand-whipped cream, especially when it could be paraded before his decidedly Cool-Whip relations. I could see him in his tailor-made dress pants, bought during a work trip to Singapore--one of his few indulgences. And the knit shirt he used to wear for family occasions that didn't demand a jacket or tie (although he had exquisite taste in ties; unlike many men, he was willing to wear ties with extravagantly beautiful patterns, although he generally favored clothes that were simple and quietly stylish. His dark hair fell across his brow and he watched with concentration and delight as the cream slowly, inevitably, and yet magically turned from its liquid state.
Whipping the cream was always the last chore he did before we headed out to the car (this was in the pre-daughter days). All those holiday outings--so uneventful, so unremarkable, and so, so precious.

I suppose I should tell you that I whipped the cream today, in his memory, as the salt tears fell into it.

Instead, I used the mixer. Sometimes, I am a coward.

I miss you, my love.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 6:52 PM , Blogger Yankee T said...

Sigh. I'm sorry.

 
At 7:24 PM , Blogger Julia said...

Oh, that hurts. I am sorry. I can see how hand whipping would have been way too much today.

I just started using a canister whipper with nitrogen chargers. It's nice, and if you got one of those you could pretend it had nothing to do with the memories hand whipping holds.

And may I say, from the sound of it, your husband was a person I would've very much liked to meet.

 
At 8:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love beautiful ties, and I'm sorry, and I wish it helped to hear that..hugs to you.

 
At 12:20 PM , Blogger Elizabeth Kleinfeld said...

I would like to ask you a question. Would you send me an email at liz.kleinfeld@gmail.com? Thanks.

 
At 11:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, crappp. I knew I shouldn't have linked to your beautiful blog.

This comment made with love through wet eyes (fingers dredging watery sweetness and splashing tears into screen).

...Ahem...

May gentle winds fill your sails.

GaleH

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home