Sunday, November 18, 2007

I am not a souse

But you wouldn't know it to hear my daughter talk.

Tonight, we are rolling out pizza crust in the kitchen, discussing our topping options:

Mama: Well, we could have pine nuts on our pizza...

Darling Daughter, (suspiciously): Why? What are they?

Mama (extracting one from bag and popping it in DD's mouth as if she were a baby bird): They're yummy and toasty. They are good for us! [thinks, When did I become the freakin' food pyramid spokesperson, anyway? SHOOT ME!]* See?

DD: No, thank you, Mama. Maybe with cocktails, but not on my pizza...

Mama (stunned into silence): ---


*I should point out that, ever precocious, my daughter has picked up the mantra I use to encourage her to eat something besides noodles and bread products. "I'm eating my protein, Mama," she lisps sweetly, "because I do not live by STARCH ALONE." She slays me.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 7:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once ran into two of my students in a supermarked with a case of wine, a gallon of milk, a bunch of scallions and a screaming toddler. Fun times. Fun times.

 
At 6:56 PM , Blogger Julia said...

Yes, my daughter also knows all about the need for protein. Is that freaky you think?

 
At 12:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

(...filling glass)
the claws of lost love gnaw without remorse.

But fair winds will fill your sails again.

Be of good cheer.

GaleH

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home