Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Perpetually damn crabby

Is it somehow violating the provisions of the fairness in housing act to speed up the inevitable rejection of some prospective tenants based on the facts that:
1. They didn't read the ad
2. They ignored the information in the ad
3. They only communicate by txt msg w/out rl wrds?
4. They didn't read the ad
5. They are incapable of using salutations and indifferent to creating any sort of positive impression in our first communication?
6. They are already asking for adjustments to my policies, special treatment in scheduling, etc.? (I don't mind if people ask, politely--I remember the stone-turning trials of house-hunting).

I am not suggesting that such people don't deserve a nice place to live, or that they are inherently less responsible or fiscally attractive than those who contacted me with detailed, polite, coherent messages. But since I am who I am, and since living in my house means us having to interact with each other multiple times--at least to judge by the most recent tenancy!--then can't I just speed up the inevitable rejection? I don't want to be greeted by a grunt when I call.

And yes, the above does explain part of the problems with my approach to dating.

I realize the world, and the standard of polite communications, are changing rapidly, and that younger folks are used to using more abbreviated forms of contact. Frankly, though, as long as I own the real estate and give the grades, I'm going to insist that those who want something from me take at least a swipe at recognizing and accommodating my weird old capitalist widow preferences for punctuation, salutations, and the like.

Grrrr.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:04 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

What what? Are you rid of the old tenants? What happened with the plumbing? With their special surprise? With them? Are you raising the rent massively, I hope?

Of course you want tenants who speak your language!

xx
Mme X

 
At 2:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

massively indeed--almost 200$, which is I don't-know-what percent (you, of course, could figure it out if I were crass enough to include the numbers).

Rats are gone. Sewer lines are replaced. New W/D purchased. New porch. Entire house repainted before they moved in. Good riddance!

Lots of lovely people signing up to see it.
xxoo

 
At 9:10 PM , Blogger Julia said...

Oh, good. i am late to this, but I am glad those entitled individuals are gone. And I think it's rather reasonable to attempt to assure that communication with future tenants would be a pleasant experience rather than another round of disrespect central.
So did you find anyone yet?

 
At 2:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hear hear to proper communication!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home