Friday, July 27, 2007

Hard Day's Night

Hi Babe,
If you were here, what would we do tomorrow? I'm guessing we'd watch some early coverage of the Tour, with me feeling bad about the doping scandals, and the breakaway guys who work so hard all day and then get caught just before the finish line. And you'd try to explain again to me how Europeans aren't so hung up on our Puritanical anti-doping crusade, and why this year's implosion probably won't have any lasting effects on the sport, except maybe in the U.S., but since most U.S. fans only care when one of "us" is winning, it doesn't matter.

Then, maybe, we'd stroll with our daughter to the local farmer's market, hoping that the peaches are in season (soon, soon). We'd probably have a sandwich at our local restaurant, and maybe take our girl to the library for some new books and, indulgently, a "Thomas the Tank Engine" DVD.

In the evening, we'd maybe drive to Former City for a really nice dinner--maybe at what used to be our favorite place, so we could talk about how we liked it better before the remodel, when it was only 4 tables. We'd revel in our two-ness, sharing for the umpteenth time how lucky and surprised we are to have found each other; how finding each other was like locating a missing piece that we didn't even realize was lost. We'd drink a little too much rhone wine. We'd share a dessert. On the way home, we'd put Wilco's "Summerteeth" on the CD player...we loved that album, and without you, I can't even bear to get it out of the case.

When we got home, we'd pay the sitter. We'd sneak in and kiss our sleeping daughter goodnight, and pinch ourselves for how lucky we are to have her. Maybe, if you were here, she'd have a sister coming. With you here, we'd have the money and the time for the second little girl we wanted. With you here, everything would still be possible.
With you here, I'd still be happy.

I love you. Happy 5th Anniversary,
your wife

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4:18 PM , Blogger Snickollet said...

Happy Anniversary. I'm crying for you, and, I have to admit, for me, too. I hurt so much, for you, me, our husbands, our kids. So much pain.

Your imagined day sounds beautiful. I'm sorry, so sorry.

 
At 10:46 AM , Blogger Yankee T said...

(((Dorcasina)))

 
At 12:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It was such a beautiful time - so generous, so lovely. I'm so terribly sorry, Dorcasina. Signing, for once--

 
At 3:17 PM , Blogger amber said...

i'm so so sorry. i guess there isn't much else to say. [sigh]

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home