Tuesday, July 17, 2007

In which I confess that I suck

I've lost our passports. Both of them, which gives me some faint hope that they are together, but after systematically rifling through umpteen drawers, bags, and file folders, they continue to elude me.

Since I'm not planning an imminent overnight in Paree, this shouldn't be a big problem. However, I need to acquire a citizenship document for my daughter, the price of which increases astronomically at the end of the month*. In order to acquire this document, I need to provide her original, Chinese-issued passport, which is the one that I lost. **

They are not where I always keep them. They are not in my luggage. I even went page by page through the contents of each possible folder they might have been mistakenly dropped into. I painfully and painstakingly exhumed the contents of my husband's dresser, even though I know that my sister (who kindly packed up all of his small personal belongings when I was too devastated to face them) would Never. Be. So. Foolish. As to pack them away like that.

My passport can be replaced, of course, with a certain amount of time and inconvenience, as befits an idiot who loses her passport at home. And I am sure that China has a replacement policy for passports, too, but not one I care to embark upon in English, from across the Pacific, for a child who was removed from their country over three years ago.

This is the second major calamity of its kind. The other thing missing is my wedding photos. All of them. Which I packed up very carefully, to be moved by the family. But when we moved, my husband was in intensive care, and the boxes ended up all over the place.

So the exercise is not being done, the article is not being written, the dog is not getting out--all while I paw through the various nooks and crannies of my house, the antique tax returns, and the heartbreaking memorabilia my husband left behind. Ergo, it sucks, and ergo, I suck.


* Seriously. By, like, 100%, if that means that it will now cost twice as much. Or would that be 200%? Actually, it will cost twice as much, plus some. Total extortion. And this is why I'm a Humanities prof.

**Apparently, a U.S. birth certificate, social security number, and adoption decrees from both China and the U.S. do NOT guarantee citizenship after all. Since I don't really want my pre-kindergartner to end up at Gitmo when they come after my for my anti-administration ranting, I'd better get her more, and more costly, documentation Because my husband was too ill to travel, she arrived here with insufficient citizenship status, and had to be formally readopted in the U.S., and issued a birth certificate. Had she been fortunate enough to have two healthy parents, she would have received the certificate automatically. Sigh.

7 Comments:

At 3:50 PM , Blogger OTRgirl said...

Sounds awful! The fact that your husband's illness was a factor at all just adds insult to injury.

 
At 10:13 PM , Blogger Julia said...

This blows. Really does.

Did you get to keep your weeding photos negatives? Or were they WITH the photos?

 
At 11:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, the wedding photographer was wonderfully kind and gave US the negatives...which are with the photos. Somewhere. God only knows where, of course.

 
At 12:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

dorcasina,

say a prayer to Saint Anthony...
i am praying to him for you ~ to find both your and you daughter's passports AND your wedding photos.

he rocks like that. i look forward to your post about finding them ~ thats how much confidence i have in his help...

much love,
gypsygrrl

 
At 7:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prayers to Saint Anthony about finding lost items has worked for my mother on many occaisions. Personally, I cannot speak to the accuracy of it, but she swears by it.

It does suck, hoping for a quick resolution for you, or at least before the end of the month!

 
At 11:35 AM , Blogger Yankee T said...

Oh dear god. I know the passport for Little One is a colossal pain in the arse, but the wedding photos would have me up at night. I'm so sorry. I wish I lived closer-I'd tear things apart with you. Or at least make and serve the lemonade.

 
At 6:46 AM , Blogger Snickollet said...

Oh, sadness about the photos. And what a pain about the passport.

You do not suck, most decidedly not. But the bureaucratic machine that is forcing you to jump through all of these adoption hoops sucks a whole lot.

The thought of you going through all of the boxes, the folders, the reminders of life with a husband, it brought tears to my eyes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home