Saturday, September 22, 2007

Harrumph

Peeve Numero Uno: The new mother at my daughter's classroom who hangs around at both drop off and pick up times having long, extraordinarily intense conversations with my daughter's teacher.

Peeve Numero Dos: My daughter's teacher allowing herself to be caught up in these conversations while the usual chaos erupts around her.

Peeve Numero Tres: The other Montessori parents who not only drive ostentatiously gas-guzzling behemoths, but are so busy, busy, busy that they are on their phones before they even leave the lot, creating potentially lethal situations for those of us arriving with our children. Please, folks--give it a rest!

Bonus round, for those of you kind enough to read my ranting: My daughter has been obsessed lately with the time when we "ate cheetah." At first I thought this was a game in reference to a beloved stuffed friend. Then I thought it was omnivore confusion: she calls all cooked meat "chicken" unless it's sliced, in which case it's "turkey." Only today did she provide enough back story for me to figure out that she means...(wait for it)...Chee-tos. She's referring to a picnic lunch we had while visiting friends at the hospital some 6 months ago. Why did it take me so long to see the obvious? Because Chee-tos are the kind of crap I feed myself, not what I feed her. Wow--who knew the taste of junk food had such a half-life?

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 6:55 PM , Blogger Yankee T said...

Harrumph on all counts. Cheetos are like crack.

 
At 7:32 PM , Blogger Visiting Prof said...

I second Yankee's crack comparison. When I was in grad school, I got addicted to the Trader Joe's brand of Cheetos... the one's that proclaimed "low fat" or some nonsense like that. To use Yankee's analogy, it's kind of like cutting your blow with baking soda...not matter how you cut it, it's still coke.

 
At 7:35 PM , Blogger Visiting Prof said...

Sorry...that should be "ones" (not possessive). I must have been typing while I was wiping that crusty orange crack off my fingers.

 
At 8:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a new reader to your blog, and I think your husband sounded like a wonderful man...the kind of man every girl dreams of growing up and falling in love with.

I know it sounds trite, and certainly no words are ever enough, especially when they come from a stranger like me, but I feel such deep sorrow for your tremendous loss. And I just wanted you to know that, stranger or no, I'm thinking about you and wishing you well.

 
At 8:19 AM , Blogger Lucky said...

I thought you would get a kick out of how you made me a blog-aholic.
http://everythingness.blogspot.com/2007/09/why-i-blog.html

Now I am a cheeto-aholic too...thanks.

 
At 9:48 AM , Blogger Julia said...

I used to be addicted to that stuff myself way back in college. Like crack. Agree.

 
At 1:13 PM , Blogger Steph said...

Love your blog. I must admit, though, that when I first read, "ate cheetah" I thought of Cheetos...
I don't even eat them with regularity, though I did once!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home