Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Voice from the Back Seat, Part II

Context: If you have a little girl or know a little girl, and she does not already own Fancy Nancy, you must add it to her collection. It's a charming story about the perils of being "fancy" in a humdrum world.

Cuteness: Today, my daughter insisted on being "fancy" for school. "Fancy" in today's iteration consisted of a bright print dress, a clear plastic necklace that looks remarkably like those banana candy necklaces* that were popular in my childhood, a giant yellow bow in her hair, circa 1911, and her sparkly red shoes that can be called "ruby slippers" but must never be described as "Dorothy's."

As she alit from the car, she announced, "I'm the fanciest. I love to be fancy. It has been my lifelong dream to be fancy." Lifelong. As in, from ages 3 3/4 to 4 1/2. She kills me. And no, I have no idea where she gets this stuff.


* Who knew that there was a "retro candy" site online? I'm not really surprised, but now I have a wicked craving for an Abba Zabba. Or a Bit'o'Honey. Or maybe just some Bottle Caps, followed by an elegant candy cigarette. It's good to achieve an age where one's peers are economically solvent enough to make the obscure items from one's childhood "collectible," rather than just obsolete!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:07 AM , Blogger scarp said...

Lurker via others, and can't resist sharing a similar story. Kids that age are just so darn cute!

My almost-4-year-old nephew tried cotton candy for the 1st time over the weekend, and described it quite aptly by saying, "Want some? It is candy that swallows itself!"

 
At 11:24 AM , Blogger Yankee T said...

She sounds adorable. Hope you're hanging in there.

 
At 5:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fabulous! I'm going to get Fancy Nancy today, sounds right up my girls alley.

Love the "lifelong dream" comment...when my son was 3 I was doling out dinner to the plates and as I went to put his green beans on his plate he holds his hand up at me and says, "not thanks momma, I'm cutting back" I countered with, "no, honey, you're cutting back on the chocolate"..."no, momma, I thought about it, I'd like to cut back on the GREENS"

Great post, hope you both are doing well.

 
At 9:54 AM , Blogger Professing Mama said...

I'll definitely have to get this book, and what a great story. I would so love for our two girls to get together someday...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home