Monday, September 3, 2007

AWOL Updates

1. Classes start tomorrow. I can't say that my summer was a complete waste, but it was bleak, and relatively unproductive. The novel and the marathon will be put on hold 'til my sabbatical kicks in.

2. In some fit of back-to-schoolness, i got a haircut and replaced all of my make-up, which had in many cases reached the classification of "biohazard." I think maybe I look a bit less old and strained than I did before, but it may just be that my failing eyesight renders my reflection sympathetically blurred.

3. My daughter got a train set, which she adores. When asked what the tank cars might carry, she replied, "Diet Coke and Bloody Marys." I am thrilled and horrified in pretty much equal measure.

4. (Part II on a theme) She asked me yesterday how old one "would have to be to have a beer, Mama?" I think CPS should be expecting a phonecall about the liquid aspects of my parenting.

5. It's overcast and humid here, and so I am pretending it is autumn. Back-to-school shoes are on order from Zappos, and a batch of Mme. X's Bolognese sauce is simmering on the stove. It's too warm, yet, and it won't compare to the wonderful nights we shared it at her home, but there is something comforting in a rich, dark sauce.

6. My mother came to visit, and systematically searched all the places I had dug through in my frenzied search for my wedding photos and passports. All have been found! Now I can play document-wars with the various branches of teh Federal Government.

7. I had to return a pair of shoes ordered from mega-online-merchant. Sadly, they were too small, but the online returns form had no garment-specific options under "reasons for return." I was forced to indicate instead that "the merchandise was incompatible with my existing systems," which amused me.

8. Did I mention that I have to face my students tomorrow? Whatever will I wear? Replacement/new shoes won't arrive until Weds., at least.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 8:36 AM , Blogger Anastasia L said...

Wow, what is it with mothers and finding things? The whole time I was growing up, and even to this day, it absolutely never fails: Mom will always find something I've given up hope of finding, and always in some place I looked half a dozen times. Even if I have that talent with my children one day, I guess I'll still need MY mother to find MY things...

 
At 12:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

xxx

Summer never happened. Tube strike. I haven't told you-- b/c it's inexplicable-- but I appear to have been hired to teach a course on hardware, software & networking. 7 day all day intensive. Yes, me. I still don't know how it happened, nor how I will pull it off, but. Somehow, someway; have been cramming for 2 weeks & have only 11 days left. Too tired to answer the phone. What I wouldn't give to be on your sofa with you & the tiny cocktail waitress, looking forward to bolognese together.

Good luck tomorrow darling--Miss you.

Love

 
At 2:29 PM , Blogger Yankee T said...

Glad you've surfaced. Your daughter! HA!

Hope your school year is a good one, and I'm so glad the lost items have been retrieved. Cheers-

 
At 7:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on both the discovery of the lost items and teaching your daughter correctly what should be carried in tankers on trains!

Yum on the gravy you fixed as well...hope the first few days back go smoothly, with or without the new shoes, you've got a new do and makeup:)

 
At 11:21 AM , Blogger Lucky said...

Liquid parenting...I love that phrase. Every time I take a sip of wine my daughter (14 months) makes an Ahhhhh sound. Like she can feel my relief. CPS might come after me too.
Great post!

 
At 8:22 AM , Blogger Portia said...

summer used to go by too fast because it was so much fun...now it seems it's gone before i've gotten to the fun part. oh well. next year:)

moms rock! you and yours.

best wishes on your first week back.

 
At 7:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Diet Coke and Bloody Marys."

I know you know this already, but it's worth repeating: your daughter is totally awesome.

 
At 9:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very, very glad about #6.
and mega-online merchant's shoes are alwaaaays too small. Still, I insist on ordering my correct size first. Free shipping is just so tempting...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home