AWOL Updates1. Classes start tomorrow. I can't say that my summer was a complete waste, but it was bleak, and relatively unproductive. The novel and the marathon will be put on hold 'til my sabbatical kicks in.
2. In some fit of back-to-schoolness, i got a haircut and replaced all of my make-up, which had in many cases reached the classification of "biohazard." I think maybe I look a bit less old and strained than I did before, but it may just be that my failing eyesight renders my reflection sympathetically blurred.
3. My daughter got a train set, which she adores. When asked what the tank cars might carry, she replied, "Diet Coke and Bloody Marys." I am thrilled and horrified in pretty much equal measure.
4. (Part II on a theme) She asked me yesterday how old one "would have to be to have a beer, Mama?" I think CPS should be expecting a phonecall about the liquid aspects of my parenting.
5. It's overcast and humid here, and so I am pretending it is autumn. Back-to-school shoes are on order from Zappos, and a batch of Mme. X's Bolognese sauce is simmering on the stove. It's too warm, yet, and it won't compare to the wonderful nights we shared it at her home, but there is something comforting in a rich, dark sauce.
6. My mother came to visit, and systematically searched all the places I had dug through in my frenzied search for my wedding photos and passports. All have been found! Now I can play document-wars with the various branches of teh Federal Government.
7. I had to return a pair of shoes ordered from mega-online-merchant. Sadly, they were too small, but the online returns form had no garment-specific options under "reasons for return." I was forced to indicate instead that "the merchandise was incompatible with my existing systems," which amused me.
8. Did I mention that I have to face my students tomorrow? Whatever will I wear? Replacement/new shoes won't arrive until Weds., at least.
Labels: miscellaneous life