Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Turn about is fair play

Since I spend much of my time bitching about my in-laws, and what a disappointment they are to me, it seems only fair to report that last weekend we saw most of my husband's family, and for the first time since shortly after his death, I was not left with a big hard knot in my throat. On Saturday, M-i-L and one set of aunt-uncle-cousin-cousin arrived to take my daughter to the zoo. I am not a big fan of zoos--in fact, I hate them; even the nicest ones seem sort of awful, and always have at least some poor creatures languishing in small, dirty cement cages. So I got to stay home and do NOTHING while they toured the zoo. Then I met everyone for a late lunch, at which no one said a nasty, critical, or evangelical word. I still think one of my nephews is a proper turd--always demand a snack, never says thank you, and invariably has to announce that the snacks at my house (granola bars, crackers, pretzels, fruit bars, fruit, dried fruit) is "Weird" because I don't keep soft drinks or store-bought cookies around. (I eat such crap; frequently. But I am very good about giving my beloved child relatively healthful options).

But this is a happy story.

After the lunch, they departed....taking my daughter with them for an overnight at Grandma's. Yep. I had a Saturday night off, while my daughter had a sleepover with her girl cousin (exactly one year older). They played in the hose. Grandpa read them books (cute photos). They visited an organic farm and got purple carrots and cantaloupe. They baked and decorated sugar cookies.

I went to dinner at a lovely, simple, bistro-type restaurant in Previous City with a colleague. We had a cocktail. We had corn chowder with vaguely Middle-Eastern flavors. We had creme brulee that melted on the tongue. We had wine.

The next morning, I read the entire Sunday paper without a piping little voice asking, "Are you done yet, Mama?" every 17.5 seconds.

I was terribly lonely for my little girl. I loved being lonely for her.

I drove to in-laws' house on Sunday evening, after a quick stop at the nearby Giganta-Mall for jeans (I was, miraculously, successful. I have two new pairs, and they are different. Woo Hoo). We visited a bit (in-laws have been gone since June 1 for an annual trek), and had dinner with the other S-i-L (her little girl was the cousin who shared the slumber party. If you are keeping track, the other one is known as The Fundie and this one is Ms. Bossypants.) We had a very nice conversation, joined together to tease my F-i-L for a bit, and talked, a bit excessively, about real estate markets (in this family, "How're your finances?" appears to be a code for "I care about you and want to know how you are, but that would be too personal, so let's talk in abstracts about our financial growth.")

Anyway, it was nothing special. Just an ordinary weekend

Labels: ,


At 7:17 PM , Blogger Julia said...

That sounds pretty nice. Hope there's more of weekends like this in your future.

At 6:09 AM , Blogger bg's Little Sis said...

I agree, nothing terrible, sounds like you daughter had fun with the grandparents and cousin too, and the bistro sound fab!

Glad you had some time alone, I know the missing them feeling too, mine are away this week, but it does feel good...well stated.

At 6:35 AM , Blogger Snickollet said...

Sounds lovely all around. I'm so happy that you got some time off and that your in-laws were civil. There is hope.

At 7:08 AM , Blogger Yankee T said...

Baby steps...

And that precious time to miss your child. It is most refreshing.

I think about you often and send you my best wishes.

At 8:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, nice! So glad you had a good time!

At 1:50 PM , Blogger Rev Dr Mom said...

Sounds seredipitously wonderful. And what YT said about time to miss your child--yes, it is refreshing!

At 5:16 PM , Blogger doctor T said...

So happy to hear that things went well.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home