Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Best served cold

My in-laws belong to a chi-chi local social club (okay, it's a yacht club, as I'm sure you know), which had always been a source of great embarrassment for my husband and me. That embarrassment was mutual, since our side of the family always shows up for the de rigeur holiday events with our Chinese daughter and me in my funky glasses, black, "I'm-an-intellectual-feminist" clothing, and unkempt hair (the F-i-L is of the breed of men who believes that women over 25 should aim for a certain generic look that involves sedate heels, pastels, short, frosted hairstyles, and large amounts of gold jewelry--what my husband and I termed "real estate-agent chic." I'm an eternal disappointment, although he has learned to handle it graciously).

The recent bulletin features a photo spread from the Holiday brunch. Dead center is a picture of two of his three granddaughters--one with blond hair and blue eyes, and my own black-haired beauty--caught in a snapshot alongside a gorgeous little biracial girl (African American and ?). (No, she doesn't belong to us, although I would have snatched her up in an instant, had her mama not been so watchful).

He sent me my own copy of the publication, with the page carefully marked. Y'know, I think he just might be catching on!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:12 PM , Blogger Yankee, Transferred said...

What a great photo that must be! I know he must be proud of you and your little girl. Sometimes, people just don't know how to say a thing.

 
At 2:05 PM , Blogger Julia said...

I bet you are the most striking woman in that cookie-cutter room.
Funky glasses never look good on me. I am jealous. :)
And I bet that's a great photo. Do the cousins get along? That might be the best revenge of all.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home