Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Addenda to rental agreement

1. Do NOT ignore the move-in letter I sent, in which I expressly mentioned the age, fragility, and likely-impending major repairs of the sewer system and asked that you a) NOT attempt any home fixes (Drano, etc.), and then tell me that *I* "miscommunicated" with you. Especially when you put up with the problem for a week and forced me to call out the weekend plumber. It's in the lease you signed, brainiac.

2. When your wife has said "uh-huh, okay, that's fine" repeatedly in conversations about how and when I am addressing the problem, don't get all blustery about how "in her condition" I shouldn't be "hassling" her. She could simply have asked me to call you.

3. Don't get belligerent about how "you didn't realize you needed to check with the landlord" about {major impending life event you are planning to have take place in the house}. Do you really want to experience {major impending life event you are planning to have take place in the house} without running water or flushing toilets, or with standing sewage outside?

4. Don't start the conversation by threatening to cancel expensive repair job if {major impending life event you are planning to have take place in the house} becomes a reality.

5. DO act appreciative when I spend an extra hour on the phone with the project manager working on ways to mitigate the necessary annoyance of major work that needs to be done immediately and offer to be "on-call" to you for the duration of the work.

6. DO express gratitude for my sensitivity to {major impending life event you are planning to have take place in the house}. The phrase "welcome to the family" was a nice touch!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 6:30 AM , Blogger Lucky said...

This may be something you laugh about someday...but you should probably swear all you want, beat your fists on the walls and scream into pillows for now...Hang in there. You are doing an excellent job.

 
At 12:39 PM , Blogger Terminal Degree said...

I really hope that when their lease is up, you raise their rent. A lot.

 
At 1:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

terminal,
especially since i am waaaaay undercharging them now...through my own ignorance.

Thanks, everyone, for the sympathy!

 
At 12:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh heavens. Yes, crank the rent. I'm so sorry about all of this. xx

 
At 5:52 PM , Blogger Julia said...

Major rent hike, major. And if the life event damages property, repair and replacement cost. For sure.
Agh. "Sorry you are dealing with this" doesn't seem to cover it, but that seems to be all I've got.

 
At 2:39 PM , Anonymous Exclaim Blog said...

Appreciaate this blog post

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home