Friday, February 22, 2008

Sh%t--the literal kind

Why does my tenant email me at 11:00 p.m. on Friday night to tell me that the plumbing has been wacky for several days now and sewage is now backing up? And that rats have taken up residence in the presumably sewer-smelling basement? As a homeowner himself, doesn't he realize that this is all going to be a helluva lot more difficult and a HELLUVA lot more expensive tomorrow than it would have been, say, last Tuesday? And that now I'm going to have to replace the washer, along with the sewer lines?

I am not catching those rats--or cleaning the basement--myself. And as I am already overdrawn enough that my debit card is blocked, this all really, really sucks.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:22 PM , Blogger Julia said...

Oh, crap (excuse the pun). This is SO not what you needed right now.
Sorry...
But yes, waiting for a Friday night is a very bad strategy on his part. very bad.

 
At 11:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not-quite-a-long-time-lurker here, but what you were saying about the stress of being the only one holding the bag is real, and acute, and tends (in my experience of the past year) to be closely linked to these kinds of omgwhatnow kinds of emergencies.

It's only after more than a year of these crises that I understand this is simply what it's like to be the person left with the responsibility. It's stressful and more tiring than anything you could prepare for, and there are many moments when you want to throw in the towel, except that there's no one to throw it to.

You will get through this. You will. It will be hard and painful, but you will. You will do the hardest things you can imagine and break through to the other side.

You will come to understand that people love you, and your child, and that their love and support is a source of energy and strength.

And in the meantime, you'll deal with the plumbing.

 
At 1:28 AM , Blogger OTRgirl said...

That's horrible!! And yucky. And totally overwhelming.

I remember my poor Dad having to pick between a tenant with open-sewage leaking into their basement or going to a "routine" surgery with my Mom (while she had cancer). Cold comfort along the it could be an even tougher choice line...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home